• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well bad news , I found out it does not like 62 gr 5.56 ammo, all over the target and miss fire on heavy primers. I guess I will try to find a heavy spring and look for some lighter bullets. On the other hand my rem 700 was not shooting them any better.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    dan, check into bergara's twist rate for your barrel. that could be the party pooper !!!
    sorry for mis-spellin the barrel's manufacturer.....hang-tight !!! we, "I" will have you touch'n @ 100 soon...........:loco:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunatelly I only took the one type of ammo, friend said lot of non ar's don't like heavy bullets, so I will try the lighter ones next trip. I can see I'm going to need to reload for this thing cause the 444 was fun and pretty accurate, but at 1.50 a pop it sucked.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunatelly I only took the one type of ammo, friend said lot of non ar's don't like heavy bullets, so I will try the lighter ones next trip. I can see I'm going to need to reload for this thing cause the 444 was fun and pretty accurate, but at 1.50 a pop it sucked.

Those are 1/10 barrels so they may not like anything larger than 55gr, and were more than likely intended to be used with 40-55gr thin jacket varmint type bullets.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone ever have any primer detenation problems between calibers? What I have here is an Encore with .223 - - 30-06 - 444 marlin carbine barrels and .223 - .308 pistol barrels. I have had more than my share of problems with this set up.
    #1 the new bergara .223 carbine had a problem with the hammer not cocking when installed.
    I figured with the help of good ole jj, that the plunger that pushes the hammer safety lever was bad, so I swapped it with another and it worked, GREAT, but it would not detenate surplus primmers, but at least tula and .223 will work.
    #2 problem is now I just installed a new TC .308 15" barrel, it locks up and hammer cocks nicely, but will not detenate primer , I tried 3 differant types of ammo , no go, and hit on primer looks a little light.
    But when I install the .223 and 30-06 barrels they go bang? so that confuses me somewhat. If the barrel installs and locks up and hammer cocks it should be good to go.
    "Why is it not wanting to fire the .308?" I tried remington, wolf, and some handloads. AAare .308 primers tougher or what? I thought for sure the handloads would go if any would.
    I guess I need a stronger hammer spring or firing pin.
    where is a good place to order good parts like these?

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this something that happens often when swapping barrels, Or am I just the luckyest SOB around? lol

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this something that happens often when swapping barrels, Or am I just the luckyest SOB around? lol

different manufacturers possibly are a small variance in tolerance when it comes to matching production barrels to
    factory receivers.

that's why I have sent my receivers in for an mgm or an ssk barrel to be test fitted and fired before purchase.

i'm sure others will contribute to your question, as I only state my opinions or experience.

I hope your not having problems with the encore rifle that was sold to you with the 444 barrel.......

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Failure to ignite some steel cased 7.62x39 is the only Encore issue I've had so far with ten barrels on three different frames.
    An extra power spring solved the ignition issue but the spring + a hammer extension caused another problem.
    The extra weight of the extension combined with the heavy spring have, over time, bent and cracked the hammer spur.
    Thompson says not to use a hammer extension. Now I know...
    In my opinion it's a design flaw.

6.5x55 pistol barrel
    .50 Alaskan pistol barrel
    .30-06 rifle barrel
    .308 pistol barrel
    7.62x39 pistol barrel
    .300 Blk rifle barrel

Gone but not forgotten.
    .338 Win Mag rifle barrel
    .30-06 pistol barrel
    .50 Alaskan rifle barrel
    .17 HMR pistol barrel

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do hope I hace it straightened out. Putting the barrels on the new frame seemed to work fine, so I will change the firing pin and spring on the other.
    Did not care for the .308 in a pistol, thank God i didn't have any ammo for the 45/70 pistol bbl. maybe could get used to ot with better optics, but think I will trade them off for carbine bbls.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan how did the 444 marlin barrel do? I had success with my rifle in that caliber. I would like a contender barrel as well. I have some load data that i used to hunt deer with I can share.

bohica762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got my first Contender when I was 14. A .22lr with a .22 hornet bbl. Since then I've added 3 more and 26 barrels. Awesome fun guns and where I grew up the only way you could hunt with a rifle caliber. The 30/30 being the favorite for South FL Hawgs, and those little bitty things we called deer.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan how did the 444 marlin barrel do? I had success with my rifle in that caliber. I would like a contender barrel as well. I have some load data that i used to hunt deer with I can share.

It is a good shooting barrel at 16", i don't know how far it may be good to, but at 2.00 a shot, I don't shoot it much, I would be interested in selling it or trading it for another barrel??

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes .... And I'm in Fairhope. Grew up shooting the original Contender. Got away from them now but am slowly getting back into them. Am always on the look out for new calibers and wildcats!

rjsmith66

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a Contender but I have 2 Encores one stays in pistol form and one in rifle, both 308's. my go to hunting setups

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I picked up a 30-30 Win Contender today on a whim. What do I need to know about it?

20150612_171355_zpswfghai9v.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if for some reason it fails to fire, or you choose to rest the hammer, you just can't cock the hammer back and try again.......no !!!
    you must open the breech fully and close to engage the hammer system.

let me know if you ever want to part with it.....my son wants that exact one !!!

Top Bottom