• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I have been thinking about this for some time. Let me know what you guys think. I am interested in getting a laser bore sighter. I read many reviews and they all seem to say that laser bore sighting is not very accurate. It may get you on paper but that is about it. So I got to thinking....I understand that the problem with manufacturing, is getting the laser module exactly in the center of the blank cartridge, and that even a slight misalignment would cause great error at say 50 or 100 yards. So I have an idea. I am going to get a laser bore sighter and make 4 marks on the case N,S,E,W. Insert the case into the breach, noting which mark was facing out. Next I mount the firearm in a bench vise. Then turn on the laser and mark a paper target where the dot is, at say 50 yards. Next I will turn the case 90 degrees to the next mark, and mark the paper again. Continue doing this until I have 4 dots on the paper, one for each N,S,E,W. Now I connect the dots across from each other with a straight line. Where the 2 lines intersect is where to sight my optic. This should get me spot on. Then to make the process easier next time, figure out what position the case has to be in to shine the laser directly above the point, that the intersecting lines meet. Measure down to that spot. Say it is 4 inches, then I know that if I position the case in that position, you I have to sight my optic 4 inches low, from the laser point.
    I have to order a laser bore sighter now and try this. I am going to get one with an external battery pack. I know I could just go to the range and do it the old fashioned way. But I would like to get as close as possible before I start shooting.
    What do you guys think?
    Dave

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some laser bore sights have sets screws that you can adjust the beam up down left and right until you get it centered.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why don't you just give your money to me, and use real bore sighting, it is quick and easy and a lot cheaper. And works. just my 50 cents jj

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why don't you just give your money to me, and use real bore sighting, it is quick and easy and a lot cheaper. And works. just my 50 cents jj

+1
    I have run into a few problematic firearms that don't have a good view through the bore......which includes most pistols.
    Of course you probably wouldn't need to bore sight may pistols.

45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some laser bore sights have sets screws that you can adjust the beam up down left and right until you get it centered.
    would these be cartridge based or down the muzzle design? From what I have read, the down the muzzle design are less consistent?

45longslide

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I could use real bore sighting, but this is not going to give me the accuracy I was wanting. I have lots of work and many children and have little time to spend at the range, so I want to spend as little time as possible sighting in when I get there.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    would these be cartridge based or down the muzzle design? From what I have read, the down the muzzle design are less consistent?

If you have an internal battery cartridge (bullet) type or the arbor type laser bore sighter, and want to check it's accuracy, it's easy. Just chuck it up in a lathe or variable speed drill mounted solid in a vise horizontally. Make sure the laser is centered perfectly in the chuck, or the measurement will be off. Aim it at a wall, etc. about 50' away, and then spin it at a low speed. If you see a single dot, it's dead center. If you see a circle of laser light, it's out of alignment. The bigger the circle, the more out of alignment it is.

In order to realign it (if it has the alignment screws), mark the wall at the 3, 6, 9, & 12 o'clock positions. Draw your intersecting lines and mark the center. Now, just hold the chuck stationary and adjust the dot to the center mark. Hopefully, you can access the adjustment screws without removing the laser from the chuck. Spin it again, check your work, and repeat if necessary.

BTW, if you see an elliptical or any other weird pattern instead of a dot or circle, it's time to buy a new drill because the bearings are shot. :doh:

I have used this method before, so I know it works.

Good luck...

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    True bore sighting works...but you have to be careful, and patient + need a good stable rest to keep the firearm from moving. These are all things you would need anyway for a laser bore sight.
    True bore sight - if done correctly - will be more accurate than a laser. The laser is just easier......I just never got one that worked.
    This is the best thing I have for pre-zeroing of a scope: http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Bore-Sigh...8&qid=1397130500&sr=8-24&keywords=boresighter
    The Collinator boresighter has worked very well for most of the rifles I have used it on.
    It will not work for iron sights....although I think there is a version that will.
    All techniques require skill and patience to have a successful sight-in.
    Good luck.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    True bore sighting works...but you have to be careful, and patient + need a good stable rest to keep the firearm from moving. These are all things you would need anyway for a laser bore sight.
    True bore sight - if done correctly - will be more accurate than a laser. The laser is just easier......I just never got one that worked.
    This is the best thing I have for pre-zeroing of a scope: http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Bore-Sigh...8&qid=1397130500&sr=8-24&keywords=boresighter
    The Collinator boresighter has worked very well for most of the rifles I have used it on.
    It will not work for iron sights....although I think there is a version that will.
    All techniques require skill and patience to have a successful sight-in.
    Good luck.

I agree. I use a BSA bore sight and it works great.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I try to always have two people so one can look through the scope while the other adjusts the azimuth and elevation. Course, that is after bore sighting.

Top Bottom