Patriot Mobile

What kind of YouTube videos should I make?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks! The camera is mounted to a head strap and basically sits on my forehead. The only way I can lower the camera is use an extension that will make it stick off the front of my head more and put more torque on the mount. I may give it a shot this weekend during a practice session and see if it causes any issues.

Are you using a GoPro? I know they have some cylindrical (sp?) type cameras that you could mount to the side of a helmet or head harness. Might look goofy but it could give you a better angle. IDK, just thinking. Or maybe mount it on the low of your chest. Then you could get good video of your shots and mag change outs. I always wanted to try this when I used to shoot competitively but kept using my spare cash on ammo.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Are you using a GoPro? I know they have some cylindrical (sp?) type cameras that you could mount to the side of a helmet or head harness. Might look goofy but it could give you a better angle. IDK, just thinking. Or maybe mount it on the low of your chest. Then you could get good video of your shots and mag change outs. I always wanted to try this when I used to shoot competitively but kept using my spare cash on ammo.

Yes, I've got 2 GoPro's. I've tried a chest mount and it really doesn't work that well for shooting video. It bounces around too much while moving (even when snugged down really tightly) and the POV is under the gun, which can be a little disorienting.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I hit 400 subscribers a few days ago and I crossed over 150K views last night. Woohoo!

Those who are familiar with vlogs, I've been toying around with the idea of doing one of those type videos on a match day. Any interest in that?

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a VLOG would be interesting, maybe a "series" type where you lead the viewer on one aspect of the sport. Be it different divisions, techniques, etc., this would open the possibility to a big series.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think a VLOG would be interesting, maybe a "series" type where you lead the viewer on one aspect of the sport. Be it different divisions, techniques, etc., this would open the possibility to a big series.

Hmm. That's a good idea.

My main issue is that I get nervous in front of the camera, or even speaking into the camera from behind it. I end up with 4 takes of each scene to get a final product. Maybe I need to start making notes and using them when filming.

I just got one of the new GoPro Session cameras and I've got an idea for making a "permanent" hat mount for it for shooting/fishing/etc. I should clean my bench off this weekend and video the process.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A vlog could be cool, I think they would be hard to keep them interesting as a viewer if you wanted to do them as a regular thing though. The big matches would be fun to see though.
    Reviews or unboxing of new stuff is still my favorite gun related channels. I would of liked to see you thoughts on that new Delta point setup you got recently, didnt you say it was one of the firsts off the product line? Should of made a video on the unboxing and thoughts on the quality and fit. I really enjoy videos like that.
    Especially from someone who really has a lot of trigger time behind different setups.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A vlog could be cool, I think they would be hard to keep them interesting as a viewer if you wanted to do them as a regular thing though. The big matches would be fun to see though.
    Reviews or unboxing of new stuff is still my favorite gun related channels. I would of liked to see you thoughts on that new Delta point setup you got recently, didnt you say it was one of the firsts off the product line? Should of made a video on the unboxing and thoughts on the quality and fit. I really enjoy videos like that.
    Especially from someone who really has a lot of trigger time behind different setups.

I agree that the "match day vlog" would probably only be a one or two time thing. Maybe a local match day and a major match day(s).

The Deltapoint Pro mount was the first one off of this particular CNC run. They've been around for a little while, they were just out of stock when I tried to order one. I should be able to do a C-More vs DPP video, though, after I get more time behind both setups.

As far as unboxing videos, sometimes they're cool and sometimes they're useless. They get a lot of views, but I'd rather watch review or use videos. At this point, I don't care what comes in the box with it. I want to know how well it works and/or see it in action. Not everyone is me; however, so maybe I should do those type of videos because that's what viewers want. I haven't decided yet.

Edit: I just re-read my comment and it could have come across as rude. Please don't take it that way. I was just providing my thought process as to why I haven't done any unboxing videos up to this point.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think I've got all my camera gear setup and ready to shoot a vlog tomorrow. I don't really know what the definition of a vlog is, so I'm just going to attempt to borrow some styles of some vlogs I've seen on youtube and see how it comes out.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cool, looking forward to watching it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The vlog may never see the light of day, for a few reasons.

1. I got basically no footage during the match. I ended up running the nook for a good chunk of the time I wasn't shooting (which I don't mind at all), so that kept me too busy to film. Keeping the match running smoothly was the top priority, so it is what it is.

2. This week is crazy, so I'm not even going to try to begin editing it all together for a while. I figure it'll take 3 or 4 hours minimum to get it all together into something I'm happy with, and I'm not sure when I'll get that kind of time.

3. I tend to lose interest in these types of things/have other things take precedence, so circling back around doesn't always happen. We'll see.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Understood about the VLOG. When and if the desire to finish it hits, we know it'll get done.

2. This week is crazy, so I'm not even going to try to begin editing it all together for a while. I figure it'll take 3 or 4 hours minimum to get it all together into something I'm happy with, and I'm not sure when I'll get that kind of time.

Maybe it's my settings but just trying to edit a little & process my training film from this morning took almost 2 hours. Maybe it's the software but, how you guys manage to shoot, edit, and process video with any speed amazes me.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Maybe it's my settings but just trying to edit a little & process my training film from this morning took almost 2 hours. Maybe it's the software but, how you guys manage to shoot, edit, and process video with any speed amazes me.

I use Sony Vegas/Movie Studio 11. I'm sure there are plenty of shortcuts that would make it faster and more user friendly, but I either don't know them or can't remember them enough to use them.

I try to keep my match video edits simple, to cut down the time as much as possible. The vlog would/will be totally different.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Videos made with the Nikon KeyMission 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those thinks look cool, but I don't think I've ever seen a good quality video from any of the current 360 degree cameras. I'll give it a little time to see if the quality improves and the price comes down.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I still need to make a short video showing my Hero 5 Session hat mount, so I may try to do that this weekend.

I've also got another project in the works that I'm going to try to film. I'm going to attempt to add a backup camera and monitor to my 1050 to look down into the cases and see the powder charge. I'm currently using a mirror and it works ok, but I want something a little nicer. Hopefully this will work out.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In case anyone missed my Dillon powder view camera video, it can be seen here:

I also had my highest views for a single day over the weekend. I posted a photo of my open guns on reddit over the weekend and someone asked me if I had any videos of me shooting them. I shared a link to my channel and got over 1800 views on Saturday alone.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After getting lots of questions about my open gun, I made a video describing it and showing some specifics:

Top Bottom