DK Firearms

Ugh... Just looking for a final answer on Wolf and Tula.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Colt M4. I've tried to do some research online about what type of results I will get from running Wolf and/or Tula ammunition. I don't have a lot of it. About 50 rounds of Tula and about 200 rounds of Wolf. Everywhere I look online has mixed answers. Some say it's no difference from brass, others say my rifle will explode and kill me (exaggerations, but you get the point).

I'm going to just let you guys give me a simple answer. What type of result do you expect if I run Wolf and Tula through a Colt M4. I don't plan to buy anymore but I have acquired the number of rounds I met ions above, and I don't want them to just sit there unused because I don't know what to expect from them.

Should I expect any damage?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Shoot what you've got and don't worry about it.

If you shoot a large quantity of steel case ammo, it could cause damage to your chamber. The small quantity that you have shouldn't cause any issues whatsoever.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It will run just fine. The only issue I have ever seen is sustained fire heating the chamber and a stuck case when the rifle was fired again after cooling with one in the pipe. Accuracy sucks but hey it goes bang just fine.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm anal about my rifle bores. I keep records on every barrel of how many and what type of bullets fired. I gage all my .224" and .308 barrels for wear. With the exception of a couple of machinegun designated barrels, I normally shoot 5 shots and let them cool. Don't worry about it; shoot and be happy. Oh, I also shoot and reload steel case ammo.

Note: There are some individual barrels that for reasons not clear don't like steel case factory ammo and can have failures to extract (I own one of them). On the other hand, if I shoot my steel case reloads in it, they function just fine.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot steel all the time in my ars. I've heard it could damage the extractor but mine still runlike a tops. I've probably put 2000 rounds of steel through my bushmaster in the last two months with no problems at all. Just takes a little longer to clean. That stuff is messy.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell Man!! As cheap as AR barrels are, run the steel. I bet you can run thousands before you will notice a loss of MOA. JMO

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My understanding is that chrome lined AR barrels should have no problem at all. I bought my last AR for that reason specifically. I plan on doing a 100 rd steel slide fire mag dump soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a touch over 13K of Wolf through a 6920. Runs fine, the only thing I've changed maintenance wise is action springs. I figure I should see a bolt lug crack anytime, but have decided I'm not going to change any major parts until it either A. starts keyholing or B. breaks a lug. I just want to see how much I can get out of it. I won't shoot it through my DMRish build, but the chrome lined quality barrels I have no issue.

Where I've seen the most issues with steel is in Wilson Arms(not Wilson Combat) and ER Shaw 1/9 barrels; primarily due to out of spec chambers(usually too tight like they were cut with a worn undersize reamer in the neck area) and/or being over gassed.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the help and articles and videos guys. I knew I could come here and avoid all the gun snobs conflicting answers. I know my weapons well but I have always fired brass. It was always available and steel wasn't needed. Now I know steel isn't the devil. Thanks again.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a feeling, but if you like steel cased ammo like Tula, you better grab it while you can.
    All that good, cheap Russian ammo is going bye bye. Importation has already been halted.

Top Bottom