• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, anytime the BATF makes a ruling, it's bad. The manufacturer of these cartridges simply needs to go with a standard lead bullet shrouded in copper. Guys, I like imported rifles and pistols as much as the next person. Browning is my favorite. I'd just not depend on availability of cheap foreign ammo cause anytime we have a problem with Russia or China, the flow is subject to stop. If you're going to have one of these exotics, it might be prudent to start with a lifetime supply of ammo. I guess I'm more concerned with them declaring lead illegal in any ammo.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great! I just bought a $1000 VEPR because ammo was so cheap. At least I got one spam can of 1080 when I got it . I paid $164 for that can and still could have last week. Now I go on the site and it's $214 and out of stock!!! I didn't watch that long winded video so I don't know what they are banning but whatever it is made the ammo go up a lot!

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Great! I just bought a $1000 VEPR because ammo was so cheap. At least I got one spam can of 1080 when I got it . I paid $164 for that can and still could have last week. Now I go on the site and it's $214 and out of stock!!! I didn't watch that long winded video so I don't know what they are banning but whatever it is made the ammo go up a lot!
    The short version is someone made a 5.45 pistol, and the ATF declared the round AP (armor piercing) and a hazard to LE officers.. even though the round meets none of the requirements to be classified AP per their website, same thing happened in 94 with 7.62 X 39. So now all the Form 6 requests for 5.45 (7n6 bullets) to be imported are on hold indefinably. So whats in the states right now is it for awhille.. hence the price jump.
    On a side note.. these people have 37 cases left 2180 rds for 490$ http://www.unammo.com/#Rifle

Last edited:

DLo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

They're banning imported steel core ammo, calling it armor piercing.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Over charging for 7n6 seems ridiculous. You can still get the commercial stuff for .25-.30. Surplus at .25 a round loses any benefit. I can get non corrosive for the same price.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over charging for 7n6 seems ridiculous. You can still get the commercial stuff for .25-.30. Surplus at .25 a round loses any benefit. I can get non corrosive for the same price.

Yea.....but now its more DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL FOR IMPORT = gotta have it! :noidea:
    I'd rater shoot the non-corrosive stuff...maybe I'll do some trading!

Anybody know if the commercial stuff has the bubble in the tip? That's what makes the round effective ....so without it - its just a paper puncher.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Depends on manufacturer. There's a guy on youtube that did a test of the wolf 55gr soft point and silver bear 60 gr that appeared to provide some decent yaw

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I know, I did the same thing with 9mm when it was $5 a box, and was thinking on a 5.45 also. I guess I will scrap that thought.
    The folks who made the pistol should be buggy whipped, it is all thier fault. LOL - no really!

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    the commercial ammo is still on the "cheap" side for a rifle round and less than steel cased 223.

If steel 223 comes down a little though I don't see any benefit to this round any more.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well that takes the wind out of my 5.45 sails. I had just purchased a crate from wideners a month or two ago for 3xx shipped, now I wish I had picked up two.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The short version is someone made a 5.45 pistol, and the ATF declared the round AP (armor piercing) and a hazard to LE officers.. even though the round meets none of the requirements to be classified AP per their website, same thing happened in 94 with 7.62 X 39. So now all the Form 6 requests for 5.45 (7n6 bullets) to be imported are on hold indefinably. So whats in the states right now is it for awhille.. hence the price jump.
    On a side note.. these people have 37 cases left 2180 rds for 490$ http://www.unammo.com/#Rifle

That's still an $81 jump in a couple days! I wanted to bring my VEPR out to the shoot but now I don't know if I want to deplete the stock. It's a pretty effective and deadly round as far as SHTF purposes!

Top Bottom