• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Im planning on reloading .243 and starting to collect my supplies.. What is a good powder to work with for this cartridge?

Book says IMR-4350. Works for all bullet weights and with most weight results in the most potentially accurate loads.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don't know if this is the right area to post this but. I got started reloading about 9 months ago, currently just for my AR in 5.56/.223 well i bought a 40 glock and I've already bought dies, an extra turret, and a shell plate. Fast forward and today I'm reading my Lee 2nd and it states not to reload for a glock, due to unsupported chambers.
    My question is does anyone else load for their glock? Everything I've loaded thus far for my AR I load starting loads and I'll probably do the same for 40 and buy my ammo for carry. But I'm still learning and thought I'd get some opinions.
    Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't know if this is the right area to post this but. I got started reloading about 9 months ago, currently just for my AR in 5.56/.223 well i bought a 40 glock and I've already bought dies, an extra turret, and a shell plate. Fast forward and today I'm reading my Lee 2nd and it states not to reload for a glock, due to unsupported chambers.
    My question is does anyone else load for their glock? Everything I've loaded thus far for my AR I load starting loads and I'll probably do the same for 40 and buy my ammo for carry. But I'm still learning and thought I'd get some opinions.
    Thanks
    Paul

What generation is your Glock .40? I believe gen 2's has a seriously unsupported chamber. If nothing else, I'd get a sizing die that pushed the case all the way through it, to take out the "notorious Glock bulge."

Edit with link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's a g23 gen 4, I've got the Lee 4 die set with full length size. It just struck me as odd reading it in my manual and wanted some opinions as to whether it's a good/bad idea.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's a g23 gen 4, I've got the Lee 4 die set with full length size. It just struck me as odd reading it in my manual and wanted some opinions as to whether it's a good/bad idea.

Well the Lee manual is on its 4th edition, if I remember correctly, so there is a decent chance that gen 2 Glocks were abundant at the time of your manuals printing. I'd do a Google search to see if gen 4 Glocks require "bulge busting."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have reloaded for a gen 4 glock 23 and shot the hell out of it. If you are worried about it, you can always get an after market lone wolf barrel (I had one for lead cast bullets I make). BTW, I do have a Lee sizing die that takes the "Glock Bulge" out of the brass. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    +1 for getting a aftermarket barrel for glocks. I have a 22 gen 4 and it left the bulge so I got a lone wolf barrel. The full length Lee die will help with the bulge, but my experience with it is that it doesn't always work. All be it it's a slim percentage that will not chamber even after sizing. I've also read that previous bulged cases will not last as many reloading's. Seems cheaper to buy a barrel and not have to deal with it at all.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Upon doing a google search and reading up on it, it seems most believe the problem was corrected with gen3 models. Their are photos online of gen2 next to gen3-4 models that show the cut away in the feed ramp. I haven't decided whether I'll reload this caliber or not.

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    At a nickel a round (using cast bullets), I found reloading to be very cost effective, even with the purchase of an after market barrel.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO,the "case bulge" that happens with SOME Glocks is extremely good. It is there for a reason. The Glock has a partially supported chamber ..... or ..... a partially unsupported chamber. Glock intentionally designed the weapon like that for an extremely good reason. Reliability with extraction.

There is not a "problem" with the Glocks. Lets all remember,a Glock is not a BBQ gun. It is working gun. Most people that reload for a Glock will buy an aftermarket bbl. This,for plinking or "range fun". NOT to bet your life on. The people that use Glocks for HD/SD or as a work gun never change from the OEM bbl. They want their Glocks as reliable as their reputation.

Your Glocks aren't broke. Don't fix 'em. --- SAWMAN

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got a Gen 3 23 and 35. Reload for both. I did buy the Bulge Buster and run all my brass through it just to be sure. Like others have said it is safe to do and if you want to cast you own just buy n aftermarket barrel.....problem solved. But in any event if you are gong to reload the 40 get the Bulge Buster if you do range pick up brass (and who doesn't)

Idoono

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And --> You CAN shoot unjacketed bullets thru your Glock's OEM bbl. I would reccomend hardcast only. If you shoot hardcast would also reccomend a good cleaning before you switch to jacketed,plated,or solid copper.

In my Glock 20(w/ 6" OEM HUnting bbl) I shoot the Blazer Brass for practice and ONLY Double Tap's 200gr WFNGC (hardcast) for hunting. --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Top Bottom