• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, I took both 500s apart,.cleaned and reassembled. I've done this maybe a dozen times with no issue. This time one of them won't feed shells. It went back together smoothly, nothing forced and I "think" I put it back together right. Bolt, carrier, shell stops, action bars, trigger group just dropped in. Everything seems fine except I don't think the shell elevator is operating right. When I rack it something feels too easy but that might be me. Taken it apart and back together several times and im stumped. I fully admit to my lack of gunsmithing..

Anyone around the Beulah, 9 Mile Rd., Ensley area that really knows their 500s want to look at it sometime this week and show me what I'm doing wrong? I'll pay for time.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sounds like you have the elevator in wrong. I would suggest a YouTube video on assembly. I know that sounds cliche and naive, but its work many of times for many of people

People make mistakes, thats why pencils have erasers.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sean if I come over pensacola way this week I'll hit you up did you make sure you set the bolt slide into the notches in the action slide also make sure the bolt slide is facing the right direction. Just a couple of things I've seen people do on the 500s

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate that EMCM. I don't want to be a PITA. I refuse to believe it's anything serious. I'm just having an oldtimer moment. I suspect a.fresh set of eyes attached to someone that's done one of these things more than me will find it in ten seconds. I ain't proud and won't fight the "here's the problem dumbass" moment.:fish:

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once it gets straightened out, I'd be interested in hearing what the issue is. I might be a "gun guy" but I'm not particularly a "shotgun guy". I just bought a 500, so I'm always looking for a way to learn more.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once it gets straightened out, I'd be interested in hearing what the issue is. I might be a "gun guy" but I'm not particularly a "shotgun guy". I just bought a 500, so I'm always looking for a way to learn more.

I'll do it, post the result and the problem. I put both 500s side by side and don't see any apparent difference including position of the elevator. I jus wonder if something is missing. I know that all of the major parts are there, and I'm sure everything is in place relative to each other but that elevator isn't moving. What I can't find is how the elevator is actuated as the carrier moves back. I almost susspect some tab is broken or a spring somewhere is missing. I know the whole mechanism is about as simple as it can get but damned if I can see what is not doing what its supposed to do. Both shotguns have very little use so I can't imagine anything is worn. I've either put something in wrong, a tiny part fell out that I didn't see or something is broken.

I thought about taking the other one apart for a complete comparison and to reverse engineer putting the inoperable one back together but the one that works right is up for sale and I don't need two piles of non working Mossbergs.:smash:

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure you'll get it figured out. As stated above, I would also be interested in what the deal is, since I'm not too up on this sort of this thing.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weekend bump! Any amatuer gunsmiths want to look at this thing? I'll pay for time, lunch, whatever. Sold the working one. If it needs parts I'll order them from Numrich or whoever.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weekend bump! Any amatuer gunsmiths want to look at this thing? I'll pay for time, lunch, whatever. Sold the working one. If it needs parts I'll order them from Numrich or whoever.

I'll be around all afternoon till 330-400. Bring it by.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll be around all afternoon till 330-400. Bring it by.

Hi MOA. I appreciate that a lot! I got off the phone with Rick about the time you posted this. He's coming over this eveining to beat me out of some RC stuff and I'm going to beat him out of some remodeling work on the house. Somewhere in the throwdown I'm hoping my 500 comes out ahead. If we don't get it done maybe next weekend or sometime wife and I can head that way at your convenience.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a problem. Speaking of RC if you know anyone that runs boats I have a bunch of the big weedeater and nitro rigs that need a new home. Lol

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can ask around. I think we're about due to have the local RC swapmeet. If I find out anything I can let you know in case you want to try to sell the stuff.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, May have isolated the problem. Wish I could say this in fewer words but you guys see if we figured it out.

Mossberg #1 This one was purchased new about 2 years ago. It's the bottom end HD 18.5" model with synth stock and foregrip (has molded in actuator bars.

Mossberg #2 This is the one I'm having problems with. Not sure actually how old this one is. Can run a serial number series search but I'm guessing it was maybe older. It has a blued finish,20" barrel and a full length mag tube. When I got it it had a Mako aftermarket forestock with rails.

I did not look closely at the Mako stock. I suspect it was the type that used the removable actuator bars and nut, in other words Mossberg #2 probably came with wood furniture.

I swapped the forestocks between the two as I didn't care for the rails on the aftermarket stock. After the swap Mossberg #1 cycled fine, or at least it appeared to, I'm going to contact the buyer here in a minute to make sure he double checks function.

Mossberg #2 will not cycle. The elevator assembly does not move. Rick and I disassembled the whole thing' reinstalled the elevator, bolt and slide and when you move it back and forth manually the elevator works perfectly. When you install the forestock and actuator rails and attempt to cycle that way it quits working. We made sure that the actuator bars were properly seated on the slide, the dogs on the bars are in the slide where they should be.

Rick has questions as to the way those bars seem to ride oddly in the receiver. I think there is either a difference in the shape and/or length.

Seems to me neither shotgun would work if this was the case but could be wrong. If this is the case I'm either going to have to order new actuator bars, nut. forestock new or see if I can work out a deal with the guy that bought my other one.

Does this make sense?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Makes sense, will continue to follow.

This is why I've always shied away from trying to install one of the Mako forends (etc). It all sounds simple and you assume a company has done its homework, but....

Top Bottom