• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After watching some of the shows on the cooking channel, I get the urge to try some new cool cusine. We do not have alot to choose from here in this area other that fast food joints that I can think of. Watching Guy's Diners Drive ins and Dives, they come across some really cool eats, and delicious looking items. Does anyone have any spots that serves some good food items, or interesting menu choices?
    Please post up some ideas to get us away from fast food places.

Here are a couple I have stumbled across and would recomend:
    #1 Garrets Old Burger place on Michigan Ave area just up from mobile hwy, Great Mullet on Fridays and good sandwiches
    #2 Goat Lips Deli on Eli Rd entrance to Ellison off Davis Good Gyro's and sandwich choices

will add as I can think of more
    Thanks in advance.:hungry:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to try that sandwich place.

When I was stationed at El Toro(1980), I found a book called "All the best dives and holes in the wall in L.A." To get into the book the place had to be at least 30 yrs old, have great food, cheap prices and atmosphere. I went to a lot of the places and sure enough, all good. So since then, everywhere I went, I've looked for those same kinda dives, even out in Las Vegas to Kansas City, etc.

So, I 've had to break it down: best pizza, best Mexican, best Chinese, best sandwiches, best wings, best steak, best BBQ, etc.

IMO, the best pizza is that fire baked Italian pizza place on south 9th( just south of Brent); the best drive thru Chinese is on Cervantes, just West of Pace, it's a little dive building, all by itself, drive thu only, but man, great stir fried food and ALOT for the money( about $7).
    Dave's Catfish for the best fried catfish. Fonaris ( Hwy 29 North of Airport, south of I-10) for excellent Greek. King's Buffet ( hwy 29 and hwy 90) for sit down chinese; Cajun Meats( behind MCGuires's) for authentic Cajun.

I can't wait to hear others.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any good truckstop breakfast that beats the Cracker Barrel?

best steak?

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Reorganized and reported below...

Last edited:

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting Restraunts in P'cola area

If ur lookin for breakfast..the coffee cup on Cervantes..get there early..

Don't kno if its still in town or not but Blue Dot burgers some of the best burgers u will ever eat and he actually made a national publication some decades ago if I remember correctly

Phillys and hip pocket if u need some kind of sandwiches

Jerry's drive thru ( or in..can't remember what's its called) has great southern cooking and different specials all the time

I'm sure I'm forgetting some ..but it looks like u have a decent list so far to start trying

Edit..just saw previous post about NOT TRYING Jerry's drive in..maybe the food has gotten bad..I haven't been in a long while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neohornet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Coach-N-Four, McGuire's, Rodizio or Texas Roadhouse for decent steaks. For pizza Sky's, Founaris, Ozone's, Tuscon's are all good. For the best cheese steak you have to go to Philly's.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, I'm looking for dives that have great food and atmosphere.. Little mom and pop places that's been around and take pride in their food.. I'm more likely to stop in Brownsville and get BBQ from the black man who has the smoker set up in the parking lot. Rather than eat at the Fish House at Joe Patty's, I'll go right around the corner to his brother's place, that's been there as long as Joe Patty's has- 50's diner with great grilled seafood at half the price.

I will never eat anywhere downtown. All that stuff is way overrated and overpriced. While it might good, it's missing my whole point.

Last edited:

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting Restraunts in P'cola area

On 9mile and 1 on creighton...incredible subs especially the Philly cheese steak...my dads from Philly and its the only place he will eat 1

badyboarder86

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cajun specialty meats. its behind McGuires. if you go there you have to get boo-dan (spell check) balls. they are fricking amazing. hopjacks downtown has some really good food. tin cow downtown has some of the best burgers that ive ever had they are HUGE!

badyboarder86

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On 9mile and 1 on creighton...incredible subs especially the Philly cheese steak...my dads from Philly and its the only place he will eat 1

if you are talking about phillys, then i will totally agree!

badyboarder86

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, I'm looking for dives that have great food and atmosphere.. Little mom and pop places that's been around and take pride in their food.. I'm more likely to stop in Brownsville and get BBQ from the black man who has the smoker set up in the parking lot. Rather than eat at the Fish House at Joe Patty's, I'll go right around the corner to his brother's place, that's been there as long as Joe Patty's has- 50's diner with great grilled seafood at half the price.

I will never eat anywhere downtown. All that stuff is way overrated and overpriced. While it might good, it's missing my whole point.

there are actually some good places downtown. but i see what you are saying

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    there are actually some good places downtown. but i see what you are saying

I know, I put the frames and glass and Nano walls into the Beer World there, so I was able to see some. They cater to a certain wealthy demographic. I'm looking for places that's been there for decades. Hidden gems off the beaten path.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    OP is looking for hole in the wall type places, which is fine. However, if you find yourself in the mood for the best food in town, I've broken it down for you. Sadly, some are downtown, but it's ok. I'm sure OP won't mind the detour.

Steak: Jackson's
    Burger: Wine Bar
    Seafood: Fish House
    Oysters: Grand Marlin
    Casual Seafood: Marina Oyster Barn
    International Flair: Global Grill
    Indian: Taste of India
    Thai: Jasmine Fusion
    Vietnamese: Tu Do
    Japanese: Horizen
    Deli: 4 Winds
    Pizza: Georgio's
    Cajun: Cajun Specialty Meats

I know some of the owners and employees well and regardless of their location, the ones I know try to put out the best product they can, are big on customer satisfaction and use the best ingredients they can. Not necessarily the cheapest places, but like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Re: Interesting Restraunts in P'cola area

Great thread. Tudo is a must and for Mediterranean we like Jordan Valley. For burgers Blue Dot downtown P'cola is awesome or TOPS on cervantes. Apple Market on scenic hwy. has a great lunch and some decent deli sandwiches.
    CCGHN these should fit your Brownsville requirements. ;)
    Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I love Mediterranean, but I heard things about Jordan's kitchen after they moved out of their last place. I'll leave it at that.
    I get my Gyro fix at Georgio's.
    I will NOT eat at Adonna's
    I like New Yorker Deli as well, but I HATE Jerry's Drive in.

badyboarder86

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i like georgios as well they have really good pizza. never had their gyro though

Top Bottom