• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JackH

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone explain the fever pitch still surrounding 22LR even as everything else starts to come back into regular supply?

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, as soon as some reasonable .22 ammo hits either the internet or local shelves, "businessmen" for lack of a better word, buy it up and take it to the gun show
    or sell it on here for twice what they paid. As long as some of us are foolish enough to keep paying 40- 60 bucks a brick, this will keep on going. Quit paying the "businessmen" for the ammo, (like alot of us have done) and this will pass.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hoarders, cheap ammo and lots of 22 guns out there. you still see people asking 2 and 3 times what it is worth here, still gouging and selling it.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use gunbot as a blue book value for the average pricing of what I'm looking for. If it's above what I can go online for or somewhere near me I just pass it up. No reason to be paying 2-3X's what it's worth. Just saying!

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are three main factors:

1. Most ammo manufacturers only produce .22LR twice a year.
    2. Most manufacturers at this time are concentrating on catching up on their more profitable ammo. .22LR is the least profitable of all ammo.
    3. Some manufacturers have pushed back .22LR production until their more profitable ammo is caught up with.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Winchester's .22 ammo factory in Oxford, MS was running two shifts, five days per week, year round in normal times. Since the panic they have been running 24 hours per day seven days per week. I would bet the other factories are doing the same. A .22 production line cannot make .223 or 9mm or whatever so they have not switched products for profit. They also have a dedicated .223/5.56 line at that plant. I understand it is running 24/7 as well. Other than running around the clock, there is no way to increase capacity other than building an entire new assembly line for multi-millions of dollars. They are not going to spend megabucks to fix a temporary situation.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Winchester's .22 ammo factory in Oxford, MS was running two shifts, five days per week, year round in normal times. Since the panic they have been running 24 hours per day seven days per week. I would bet the other factories are doing the same. A .22 production line cannot make .223 or 9mm or whatever so they have not switched products for profit. They also have a dedicated .223/5.56 line at that plant. I understand it is running 24/7 as well. Other than running around the clock, there is no way to increase capacity other than building an entire new assembly line for multi-millions of dollars. They are not going to spend megabucks to fix a temporary situation.

Good explanation, John. In my mind, many guys and gals realised after the shelves were emptied that they were caught with their pants down. Even though I had over 3000 rounds when the shelves became empty, I still paniced. I found enough to sooth my worries and have moved on. Many are still looking though.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Who is winchester selling to then, it is not on the shelves. I would say the main reason is lack of components are slowing the manufacturers down more than anythings else.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only number I can find is CCI is producing 4 million rounds of 22 LR every day.
    =28 million a week
    =1.456 billion rounds per year
    divide that by just the 80 million gun owners in the US (everyone has a 22, right?)
    That's only 18 rounds per person per year from CCI and this does not take into account that CCI and all the others are sold world wide.

18 rounds is all you get this year Frank.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See! It's all the Franks in the world is the reason there is no .22. :smile:

That's about what I have too but I bought mine before the last presidential election.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good explanation John.

Also, how many folks do you think regularly bought a brick of .22? I mean before all this panicking. Of the hundreds of thousands (or more) that just got into shooting in the last couple of years how many bought a .22 for cheap shooting? I'd say this is like any other event that makes something desirable. I know I hadn't bought a single round of .22 in my life until 2006. Since then I've amassed rounds in the 5 digits. Pretty sure a lot of new guys have bought even more.

Members online

Top Bottom