• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a few days, I'm going to pick up a car that I've bought in Houston. I'm flying Air Tran or some other vendor out of pensacola... have any of you flown out of here with your piece? I've got a CC permit... I know there would be hoops.. just curious as I dont want to do 500 miles of interstate without a metal buddy.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I fly every business trip with my handguns. You can carry up to two. Unloaded and locked in a pistol case -- and/or locked in a hard-sided suitcase. Ammo (up to 12 lbs.) can go too -- and in the same bag, but must be in retail packaging or some type of container designed to transport ammunition (ammo wallet, etc). Loaded magazines are not a suitable container. Your suitcase must be checked as baggage. When you check in at the ticker counter, simply state that you wish to declare a firearm. You will sign a declaration card that will be placed outside the pistol case, but inside your locked luggage. They may or may not ask to see your firearms, and ask if they are unloaded. There will be no indication on the outside of your luggage that the bag contains a firearm. I use a TSA lock, just so they can open and inspect without having to cut the lock off. At the Pensacola airport, the ticket agent will take your bag and place it on the belt where it will pass through the TSA bag screening behind the scene.

I have had some bags get misdirected or show up late -- but I have never had a bag lost that contains a firearm. I fly commercial a couple of times a month. And I have been doing so for the past 15 years with no difficulties.

** Edit to Add -- I only fly Delta...Your airline requirements may differ...**

Last edited:

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I invested in a Pelican case that is almost indestructible, and takes two locks. Whatever you use, I strongly suggest you put it inside your regular suitcase, so that the baggage handlers (after the TSA screeners) don't recognize they are handling a gun (less chance of theft if they don't see a target). Be sure to have a lock on your regular suitcase, too (a small TSA lock will do).

Read the rules, both the TSA rules, as well as your own airline's rules. The problem is that the various airline employees tend not to know the rules. This is compounded by the fact that each airline is allowed to have rules that are more stringent than the TSA's. Then, on top of that, each airport can do things a bit differently as well.

You walk up to the ticket counter, and say "I need an orange firearms declaration card."
    The orange cards are supposed to go inside the hard case if the hard case is the actual luggage (as would usually be true with a rifle case), and outside the hard case if the hard case is then placed inside another piece of luggage (as most of the time you do with a small pistol case). Sadly, because of what I said earlier about "rule confusion", you will be told different things at different times, even at the same airport. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to educate anyone at the airport. I sign & date the orange declaration card, and ask the agent where he/she wants the card (inside the Pelican case or outside). It is just better for me to follow their instructions.

By the way, the ammo can be in the hard case with the gun, if you want. The ammo has to be in an ammo box. Either factory-type or plastic reloader's box.

I use the Pelican 1170 case for my pistol & ammo. This is locked with
    Master Lock 131Q. Set of 4 keyed-alike, plastic covered. They fit perfectly, especially on Pelican 1170 case. The measurements on the package say there is 16 mm (5/8 in) between the curve and the top of the body. I put two extra locks and a key inside the case, in the event the TSA cuts the locks off to inspect, or if a lock was to malfunction.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've flown with a rifle and pistol in same pelican case. I use my locks that are not TSA. I check in, declare, they check to see that it is unloaded and fill out the little card. I receive my case same time as my luggage each time so far.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's actually some pros to flying with guns. The guy in this article isn't a gun guy at all but flies with a gun so he can use high security locks and containers to carry his expensive equipment. Not to mention that TSA and the airlines will bend over backwards to maintain a chain of custody with firearms due to the high liability.

Interestingly he dislikes the idea of placing a locked case into a bag. Instead he prefers having everything into one locked case. This is certainly a little more overt and thus may draw too much attention. Not to mention that traveling with an iron box is heavy. I think the best middle of the road option is to use a small lock box cable tied to the interior of a inconspicuous bag. From what I've seen from all thefts (including airline theft) its always the small easily concealable highly desirable (over) stuff that gets taken.

http://www.itstactical.com/intellic...arm-and-airline-travel-tips-by-deviant-ollam/

Last edited:

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last time I flew to PA, I took my pistol. You check it in, let them make sure it's unloaded, sign your red card, then lock her up. Then it goes to another section where they take it in the back to examine it. I asked the TSA agent what they look fer and he said they use a sniffer to see if it's been exposed to bomb making materials....I just figured they put it under a scan and then let it through....ohhh well! not too much of a hastle.

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's actually some pros to flying with guns. The guy in this article isn't a gun guy at all but flies with a gun so he can use high security locks and containers to carry his expensive equipment. Not to mention that TSA and the airlines will bend over backwards to maintain a chain of custody with firearms due to the high liability.

Interestingly he dislikes the idea of placing a locked case into a bag. Instead he prefers having everything into one locked case. This is certainly a little more overt and thus may draw too much attention. Not to mention that traveling with an iron box is heavy. I think the best middle of the road option is to use a small lock box cable tied to the interior of a inconspicuous bag. From what I've seen from all thefts (including airline theft) its always the small easily concealable highly desirable (over) stuff that gets taken.

http://www.itstactical.com/intellic...arm-and-airline-travel-tips-by-deviant-ollam/

Came here to post this, great video and explanation from this guy. Ollam uses the big lockable cases because he carries quite a bit of very expensive electronics with him to his conventions and talks.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I flew Spirit Airlines and they only allow one firearm and 10 rounds of ammo. Everything has to be declared and tagged and locked up and checked. I ended up not taking it with me after seeing all the hassle. My CCW hadn't come in yet. If it had, I would have jumped the hoops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom