• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Open carry was always legal because there was no written law prohibiting it. You just had to hope some Barney Fife did not hassle you about it. Now it is spelled out.

Gravity3694

Expert
    They already allow non citizens to buy firearms (resident aliens and non-immigrant). What difference does it make if they are allow to bear them as well? Last time I checked it said, "the right of the people" not the right of the citizens. Besides, it should never be a privilege to have the means to defend oneself.

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    God Bless America

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    So it's a concealed carry permit, but you can't carry a concealed weapon? If you have a permit you can only carry open?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    So it's a concealed carry permit, but you can't carry a concealed weapon? If you have a permit you can only carry open?

I don't know where you got any of that.
    A concealed carry permit is a concealed carry permit, period. It's no good in federal buildings, airports, or nut houses or anywhere else spelled out in any federal regulations. It is even good on school grounds but the teachers unions are probably going to fight that.
    People without a permit can have an unloaded gun in the car if the gun is locked in a glove box or trunk. If your's doesn't lock then you are out of luck. Maybe some kind of lock box would suffice.
    People with hunting license can have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in the car.
    All of the above was always legal, just not specifically spelled out in the statutes.

The main change was that employees with a permit can take their gun to work and leave it in a locked car in the employers parking lot.

The rest of it just standardized who can have permits and an appeal process if a sheriff denies you a permit. Permits in Alabama have never been regulated by the state. Each county sheriff handled permits how he saw fit. In some counties they were easy to get and some counties hard to get. Now the rules are standardized across all counties.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Guess I should've rephrased the question...thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Gravity3694

Expert
    for people under 21.

Either way bill 286 made the state almost shall issue except for when the sheriff believes on reasonable suspicion that unlawful use will occur. The determination for that is highly specific under 13A-11-75(a)(1)(a) and excludes anything but concrete evidence.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Does anyone here intend to exercise this newfound right?

Garpo

Master
    Does anyone here intend to exercise this newfound right?

No intention to do so at this time. Now in the case of TEOTWAWKI, I may reconsider it.

JBryan314

Master
    I've been having trouble finding the answer online to something my wife just asked me. We are both Florida residents, and her parents live in Alabama. When I leave for Afghanistan, she is going to go to see them in Bama and get a CCP for that state. Since I assume it will be a "non-resident" type permit, will she be covered to carry in Texas? What about Florida?

statdoc

Expert
    I've been having trouble finding the answer online to something my wife just asked me. We are both Florida residents, and her parents live in Alabama. When I leave for Afghanistan, she is going to go to see them in Bama and get a CCP for that state. Since I assume it will be a "non-resident" type permit, will she be covered to carry in Texas? What about Florida?
    Why would she not simply get a FL resident permit now? It is valid in AL, as well.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have no clue about the new "non-resident" permit in Alabama. Alabama will tell you what states that they have reciprocity with http://www.ago.state.al.us/files/14.htm
    Florida has a listing as well.

They will not tell you for sure all the in and outs of every state you plan to travel in. You have to check each state yourself to make sure there is no gotcha in their rules. Don't trust any books or non-state web sites to tell you. Books can be out of date before they are published. I don't know if Alabama's web site will have the new regulations in it tomorrow. I'm sure most web sites will not.

Here is one of the gotcha states.
    Louisiana
    Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person
    Submit to a pat down
    Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him

Top Bottom