• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emcm2

Master
    Well don't Florida already have the open carry law I thought Florida has the three step law for carrying a pistol in open view I know we have it for hunting seasons but hey I could be wrong just ask my wife !!!!

Dragonfire21281

Training Expert
    Well don't Florida already have the open carry law I thought Florida has the three step law for carrying a pistol in open view I know we have it for hunting seasons but hey I could be wrong just ask my wife !!!!

No open carry except fishing or hunting. And its not 3 steps. Its 1. Must take one action ie thumb snap. Opening a glove box or arm rest.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter

She is right again. Like Dragonfire said, no such thing as a three step rule. I live in AL now but I lived in FL for 12 years and studied the statutes to keep my ass out of jail.

Every thing in italics below is a direct copy and paste from the Florida Statutes.

Here is a quote from the Florida Statutes concerning an unlicensed person carrying a firearm in a vehicle.
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

from the definitions section
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

As far as open carry goes:

(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors' gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

Top Bottom