Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Refinery capacity loss due to Harvey :

Reuters: 20%
    CNN: 16%
    Fortune: 10%
    Goldman Sachs: 23%

Pretty sure that if the industry wanted to, they could turn up the volume on the remaining refineries 5% each and prevent any shortage in output.

If they wanted to.

Last edited:

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fine 25%. It still means a decrease in gasoline supply versus a glut in unrefined crude. The result is the same. Gasoline goes up while crude price goes down. Crude is worthless if you cannot refine it and get it to market.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just as the gun grabbers selectively use shootings to push their agenda, the gas companies do the same with prices increases at every oppertunity. No only do they take advantage of natural disasters, they also selectively shut down multiple refineries for "maintenance" when there is a glut of gas (this makes sense as a good time to do the work) but then thay also jack up prices due to "NOW" loss of refining capacity. WTF? There is also the middle man profiteers: fuel speculators that buy millions of gallons cause a flow shortfall thereby driving prices up and then they sell at higher prices.

There is a saying in the oil business: Prices go up like a Rocket and come down like a feather. This quick inflation on the front end allows high profits for what they paid well less for. As their actual cost goes up, further cost increase are applied to maintain or gouge addition profit. They say its cushion to cover project increase costs to them. As flow actually increases or reach normal flow, prices drop in penny increments over weeks "because" stock pile (glut qty) has not been achieved.

Whether we like the method or not, fracking oil provides stability and actually produces so much oil that the additional availability drives prices down to a point that fracking becomes not cost effective compaired to standard wells. The obvious problem is the same companies control fracking and standard wells. Demand drives prices up, high stock piles drive it down and the companies control the quantity they produce.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fine 25%. It still means a decrease in gasoline supply versus a glut in unrefined crude. The result is the same. Gasoline goes up while crude price goes down. Crude is worthless if you cannot refine it and get it to market.

So you just take the highest reported out of all the news sites? How about the average which equates to 18.8%. With the amount of refineries we have in the US each could probably increase output by 1-2% to make up that difference and I'd be willing to bet that's what will happen. We'll see the short term spike like we have but once the other refineries that are scattered all across the country on dry ground start to increase output prices will level off and start to go back down. Another thing, demand is going down due to kids being back in school and summer vacations coming to an end. As always they go down slower than they went because they love to take advantage of the consumer anytime a natural disaster gives them an opportunity to.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    bottom line is the producers make less per gallon of gas than the taxing authorities do and between the middlemen and the retailers profits the producers get the least from a gallon of gas than does anyone, let that soak in for a minute. The real profiteers during raising gas price times are NOT the refineries but the distributors, the transmission companies, the taxing authorities, the retailers/wholesalers and market makers.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Taxes are just one of the items that has kept our economy from improving. It amazes me to think about all the damn taxes we pay and this country is still trillions in debt, government corruption at it's finest. Kind of ironic, one of the main reasons we declared our independence from England is that they kept raising taxes on us and now I know we pay a hell of a lot more in taxes than they did back then.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems to be quite a few articles saying this:

Arkema: No way to prevent explosion at flooded Texas chemical plant

Arkema chemical plant raising possible risk of explosion
    7 Hours Ago | 03:22
    Arkema SA expects chemicals to catch fire or explode at its heavily flooded plant in Crosby, Texas in the coming days, and has no way to prevent that from happening, the chief executive officer of the company's North America unit said on Wednesday.

The company evacuated remaining workers on Tuesday and Harris County ordered the evacuation of residents in a 1.5-mile radius of the plant that makes organic chemicals.

Richard Rowe, CEO of the North America unit, told reporters that chemicals on the site will catch fire and explode if they are not properly cooled, and that Arkema expects that to happen within the next six days as temperatures rise. He said the company has no way to prevent that because the plant is swamped by about six feet of water.

I saw the list of chemicals made/stored there earlier today and it was pretty remarkable.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are about 1,300 households and 3,800 people in a three-mile radius of Arkema.

The plant’s chemical inventory includes acetone, benzoyl chloride, chlorodifluromethane, cumene, cumene hydroperpoxide, DI(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, ethybenzene, ethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid, mercury, methyl ethylketone, n-hexane, sodium hydroxide, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and butyl alcohol.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    will not being in the water keep stuff cooler? what an added disaster for those folks

Article said that after the power went out, they moved the chemicals from the warehouse into diesel powered refrigerators which presumably stopped running, when they were covered by 6 feet of water.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For what it's worth here's info from my daily Before The Bell stock market report.

1. Harvey energy havoc: Harvey has knocked more Gulf Coast refineries offline, sending gasoline futures to around $2 a gallon.
    Thirteen oil refineries have been shut down or are in the process of closing, while several others are operating at reduced rates. Altogether, the storm has knocked out about a fifth of America's refining capacity, according to S&P Global Platts.
    The Colonial Pipeline, which carries huge amounts of gasoline and other fuel between Houston and the East Coast, is also shutting down after Harvey, which is now considered a tropical depression, forced the closure of refineries and some of the pipeline's own facilities.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well it's finally here, Friday of a holiday weekend, so looking forward to it! Just working half a day and then I'm out of here to enjoy the weekend!

Attachments

• TGIF.jpg
      TGIF.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 116

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Stock report gas update, looks like steps are being taken to keep gas prices from spiking much further than they already have.

3. Harvey pain: U.S. gasoline prices rose further Thursday after flooding caused by Harvey forced the closure of major oil refineries.
    Gas prices have climbed 10 cents a gallon, and some pumps in Texas have ran out of supplies.
    The government tapped an emergency stockpile of oil to prevent the prices from spiking further. And a European flotilla is currently on its way to the U.S. with millions of gallons of gasoline.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It’s so hot – All the water buffalo at the zoo evaporated.

It’s so hot – The trees are whistling for the dogs.

It’s so hot – My thermometer goes up to “Are you kidding me?!”

It’s so hot – You can wash and dry your clothes at the same time.

It’s so hot – I saw two trees fighting over a dog!

It’s so hot – I saw a chicken lay a fried egg.

It’s so hot – I want to take off my skin and sit in my bones.

It’s so hot – Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs.

It’s so hot – I discovered that asphalt has a liquid state.

It’s so hot – I found out that my seat belt could be used as a branding iron.

It’s so hot – You discover that it only takes 2 fingers to drive your car.

It’s so hot – The best parking place is determined by the shade instead of the distance.

It’s so hot – The birds have to pick up the worms with potholders.

It’s so hot – I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I now want a diesel pu.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom