• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was in Goodman, MS hunting Tuesday morning and it had just started to snow when I climbed into an elevated box blind. The snow continued until 2 pm and I would guess we received about 2" of the stuff, it was cold enough it didn't melt and was the fluffy kind that blows around easily. Was cool to be on stand while it was snowing, didn't help with the deer as I was skunked again. What surprised me was the temp on Wednesday morning, it was a balmy 6 degrees, coldest weather I've hunted in. Once again no luck so headed home yesterday on some pretty icy roads in MS and AL. Had to use 4 wheel drive to get up some icy hills, went around a semi that couldn't make it up pretty icy hill. Saw several vehicles that had slid into the ditch on the ice. 21 here in Mary Esther this morning.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We originally delayed work until 10am yesterday, then I got the cancellation call about 8am. It's a good thing, because it looks like it would have taken me a few hours to get into work with all of the wrecks and road closings.

We delayed this morning until 8am. All of the roads were back open, but there were still some patches of ice on the causeway and some of the surface streets as I got into Mobile.

I haven't checked the weather, but I'm assuming it'll be back up into the 70's in a few days.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Waiting on the trucks camper shell lock to thaw out enough to open. Thought I would haul the trash off but the cold has me stymied until the sun melts the ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Robert Mueller, and other top “Deep State” operatives are undoubtedly very nervous about a federal grand jury indictment that was handed down recently.

On Friday, January 12, the U.S. Department of Justice unsealed an indictment that has the potential to start a chain reaction regarding the long-simmering Uranium One case, which we have been reporting on for several years. The new indictment could lead to the investigation and prosecution of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former FBI Director Robert Mueller (now a special prosecutor), and former President Barack Obama — all of whom were involved in a deal that transferred 20 percent (or more) of U.S. uranium production to Russia.

Unlike the empty conspiracy theory in the “Russia collusion” fishing expedition led by Mueller against President Trump, the Uranium One case involves real conspiracy fact and is of utmost concern to our national security.

news at 10, but probably not the MSM
    this is growing

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My “new” job kinda sucks. Been here 7 months, should I jump ship back to my old gig or hftu and truck on? Pay is a little less at the old place but hours and stress level are much better.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My “new” job kinda sucks. Been here 7 months, should I jump ship back to my old gig or hftu and truck on? Pay is a little less at the old place but hours and stress level are much better.

I'd rather be happy then have a few more bucks :)

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    what a difference from the last one...

Secretary of Defense James Mattis showed what he was made of on Friday when he became aware that traffic might make him late for a speech he was scheduled to deliver.
    Mattis was traveling to Johns Hopkins University to to unveil the newest version of the National Defense Strategy when it became apparent that the motorcade was going to be late, according to the Independent Journal Review.

Being late was not on the retired Marine’s agenda, so he got out of the vehicle and walked the last 15 minutes to make it on time.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Some stress is good for the body and mind but too much stress will take a toll over time. Working hours schedule can be a strong benefit depending on what you do with the off hours. Both of these areas can offset minor pay differentials. What is missing from your comparison is the potential for future opportunities to elevate your career at each one.

SCTaylor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some stress is good for the body and mind but too much stress will take a toll over time. Working hours schedule can be a strong benefit depending on what you do with the off hours. Both of these areas can offset minor pay differentials. What is missing from your comparison is the potential for future opportunities to elevate your career at each one.

You’re exactly right. The opportunities at both are close to equal; project manager with two young, small growing commercial GC’s but in very different market sectors.

There is just so much I want to do with my life, family and personal that my current job is not allowing me to do. Granted it sounds like I’ve made up my mind but I’m working on some pretty damn cool stuff right now.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I work better under pressure, it allows me to pinpoint focus on the most important details. but too much stress can kill you..it gets to a point of whack a mole, no progress, but a lot of activity:help:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ......but I’m working on some pretty damn cool stuff right now.

Since the "cool stuff" (part of job satisfaction) wasn't mentioned in the first post, it may not have any real weight towards your decisions. A lot of people come to a point where they take a hard look at job demands verses everything else. We often make personal sacrefices in jobs/careers due to what reward (short, mid or long term) will likely result benefiting the personal side. Unfortunately, we all miss big family days, school plays/sports and similar events. Its life and it's not perfect but we try to make it so when we can.

Pro/Con lists are okay but the truth teller is a pyramid: one block on top followed below with two, then three, then four. Put ten parts of your life in the blocks. Your priorities go high-top to lower-bottom. You should find whats really important, what requires an equal share of your time/resources or less. Its not stone, we grow, situations change and we adapt.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    TGIF! Well technically yesterday ended up being my Friday due to a damn cold I picked up somewhere. Complete with chest congestion, snotty nose, sneezy with watery eyes, sucks, I hate being sick! Guess I'll being spending Happy Hour at home today, better make sure I have enough "supplies"!

Attachments

• TGIF.jpg
      TGIF.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 241

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Quiet bunch this weekend, guess you are all out having fun while I'm stuck at home hacking up chest glue and blowing snot! Well enjoy, looks like another day indoors for me taking it easy trying to get better. Taking my meds, Airborne and drinking green tea!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm stuck at work since we lost basically 2 days last week due to the weather. I was supposed to shoot at match tomorrow in Biloxi, but it looks like the weather will either cancel the match or make it miserable.

Top Bottom