• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Any group with any diameter bullet can be small. Take a 50BMG. The bullet diameter is .510". If you put 5 bullets into the same hole (EXACTLY) the hole size is .510". If you subtract the diameter of the bullet,the group size will be .000".

If a .235" group is shot with a bullet that is .358" in diameter,all the bullets will have to cut damn near the exact same hole. Looking at it,it can be a tiny bit oblong or egg shaped,however not much at all. Unless you examine the group(hole)extremely carefully,it will look like a round hole.

Throw into the mix,some of the guns that shoot the extraordinary groups are AR's. And ................ ? I do reserve the right to be respectfully doubtful WITHOUT calling BS. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Doc,you got that all wrong I do believe. Take the hole made by the bullets measured outside to outside in .XXX"... then subtract the bullet size in .XXX". That's your group size. --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Doc,you got that all wrong I do believe. Take the hole made by the bullets measured outside to outside in .XXX"... then subtract the bullet size in .XXX". That's your group size. --- SAWMAN

I tbought it might have been...it sounded right in my head(but so do a lot of other things until I open my mouth, says my wife!). But I'm gonna side with you about the respectfully doubting! Maybe it happened. I mean I did once shoot 5 into a group of just over the size of a nickel. That was also after MOA had schooled me on how to reload and tweak stuff!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah, I'm not doubting that a very few AR's will shoot "great". But ponder this --> How many bench rest records are held by which chambering,using what action,and looking thru what optics. Also when thinking about all these highly specialized weapons how are they rested. Sandbags,bipod,folded up jacket,fence post ??

Now I understand that there have been some great groups shot by some of the bigger bore guns. People shoot 45-70's at some ungodly ranges,however these guns do not produce groups of .100" - .200". They shoot MOA ... sometimes under,sometimes over.

At some point this coming summer I will try to organize a competition. A friendly competition. For money to cover gas,and most of all,for braggin' rights. We will see who bothers to show up. We will see how some of these guns shoot. Undoubtably we have some really accurate guns out there. So ........ I will contact my club and see what kind of arrangement we can make. We have several members on this forum that belong to my club so we ought to be able to sponsor enough people that REALLY want to show up and not have ...... "made other plans".

We can shoot 100,200,and up to 300yds at my range. BUT ....... if your gun will shoot in the .1XX's" at 100yds,in the .3XX's" at 200yds or in the .5XX's" at 300yds I would really like to witness this. This competition will be for GROUPS and not for target.

I will not compete ..... I do not have any weapons that will shoot <.100" groups,but apparently some of you do so ..... bring em' out. --- SAWMAN

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chip McCormick emailed me back and they're going to replace all my mags for me. They stated that 1 in 10000 could have the welds fail. I had two happen back to back and one more that broke at home.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Chip McCormick emailed me back and they're going to replace all my mags for me. They stated that 1 in 10000 could have the welds fail. I had two happen back to back and one more that broke at home.

That's nice, dump them suckers on FleaBay and get some good ones. My $0.02.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did a little RIT dying today, got the grips from a member and didnt really like the color on the gun so I figured they would be a good candidate for a dye job.

Before:

After:

Not as dark as I wanted and i probably could of got them a little darker but i didnt want to spend much time on them. They look darker in person and my wife said they are blue now, they will work for now just as a place holder until i get the pistol up and running and figure out how i want it to look in the end.

Last edited:

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I'm not doubting that a very few AR's will shoot "great". But ponder this --> How many bench rest records are held by which chambering,using what action,and looking thru what optics. Also when thinking about all these highly specialized weapons how are they rested. Sandbags,bipod,folded up jacket,fence post ??

Now I understand that there have been some great groups shot by some of the bigger bore guns. People shoot 45-70's at some ungodly ranges,however these guns do not produce groups of .100" - .200". They shoot MOA ... sometimes under,sometimes over.

At some point this coming summer I will try to organize a competition. A friendly competition. For money to cover gas,and most of all,for braggin' rights. We will see who bothers to show up. We will see how some of these guns shoot. Undoubtably we have some really accurate guns out there. So ........ I will contact my club and see what kind of arrangement we can make. We have several members on this forum that belong to my club so we ought to be able to sponsor enough people that REALLY want to show up and not have ...... "made other plans".

We can shoot 100,200,and up to 300yds at my range. BUT ....... if your gun will shoot in the .1XX's" at 100yds,in the .3XX's" at 200yds or in the .5XX's" at 300yds I would really like to witness this. This competition will be for GROUPS and not for target.

I will not compete ..... I do not have any weapons that will shoot <.100" groups,but apparently some of you do so ..... bring em' out. --- SAWMAN
    I'd like to come out for some friendly competition count me in. I'll either leave with bragging rights or have my ass handed to me by a better shooter. Anyhow I'll show up with gun in hand.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought some more reloading supplies.

Hey Sawman, I purchased some more magic bullets to load up. I will bring them with me also, LOL!

Sorry for poking the bear, but I can't help it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No prob ..... sometimes I do not know as much as either I think I know or would like to know. BUT ....... thankfully I'm starting to mellow out in my old age.

Bottom line,I simply like to shoot and watch others shoot. We'll have Ian out to ref it for us. BTW,saw him today and noticed he is starting to look allot like Dan. I suspect it is some kind of physical looks meld going on. --- SAWMAN

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn that should look nice.

Find some red foam to replace the black on your Skelton stock and you'll be all balanced out with the red.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Today, I got a text from a friend of mine that has been gathering parts for his AR build. It is not his first AR, but it is his first build. Now, on Sunday afternoon, he is coming over with all the stuff he has been gathering for the past two months so we can get his build done. I am supplying the LPK, BCG, and CH. We will get a pic of it up when it gets done.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like your friend has a good buddy if you are helping him with the build and furnishing parts to boot.:thumb:
    Ed

Latest posts

Top Bottom