• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Built myself a new shooting table for the range...I don't have any left-handed shooting guests, but I was in an ambidextrous mood when I built it...in process and finished pictures. IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0439.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
      IMG_0432.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 296
    • IMG_0439.JPG
      IMG_0439.JPG
      60.2 KB · Views: 279

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yesterday & today I did my periodic inspection, wipe-down & oiling of my guns. Reminded me that I have several I haven't fired in a long time. It might be time to cut back a bit...maybe...

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Went to the range to shoot my frangible 5.56 loads at steel plates. Had numerous failures to fully close the bolt and then had to "mortar" the loaded rounds out of the AR. Even ran a chamber brush in the chamber but it didn't help. Nothing obvious wrong, but I hadn't cleaned the AR in a while and the BCG looked rather dry. Got everything coated with Hoppes and will finish cleaning in the morning. Did another brushing of the chamber...looks bright and shiny (chrome lined). Did note that the tail of the bolt had a real hard buildup of black on it; bolt tail would not go all the way into my bolt cleaning tool, so I used a knife to scrape it off. Maybe that buildup was slowing down the bolt velocity. Even tried 2 different mags. Ejector is not frozen; extractor looks like new; rubber o-ring around the extractor spring. Bolt locks properly back when fired. Frustrating!

At least after cleaning I can simply step out the door and test fire after warning the wife I'll be shooting.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Cleaned and lubed the AR, removing the buildup of hard stuff off the bolt tail. Measured my carbine length buffer spring (10 1/4") so it is within specs, but not as long as a new one. Chambered and fired 7 rounds single shot with 4 different mags; worked 100%. Also had noticed some buildup in two spots inside rear of the bolt carrier inner chamber (where the bolt rides). Could not turn my bolt carrier cleaning tool by hand to remove the build up. Using pliers on the cleaning tool I was able to turn it and remove the buildup. I wonder if the lower pressure of my frangible loads leads to more buildup of carbon?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yesterday: A friend brought his Mossberg 20ga Shockwave to the range along with some 3" #2 shotshells. Velocity listed on the box was something like 1375fps (I may have that wrong, but it was above 1300fps). I'm used to my Shockwave 20ga firing 2 3/4" target loads. Yes I'll shoot it...

1st shot from the hip with 3" shell...yes more recoil than what I'm use to, but do-able for me. 2nd shot holding Shockwave up so I could sight down the bbl with 3" shell (have done that many times with my target loads and no problem)...increased recoil caused front end of the Shockwave to go up and to the right; while I didn't drop it, my left hand was left barely touching and certainly not holding onto the front grip and could not have pumped the action. A) I didn't hold on firmly enough or B) I'm a wimp or C) Both of those.

Expensive as they are, I need to shoot some of the 2 3/4" buckshot shells I carry in my Shockwave, before I buy/try any 3" buckshot. 2 3/4" shells may be enough for me.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you want to stay with the 20ga 2.75" loads,find someone that is setup to reload a 20ga and have them reload you some ultra light loads. To me, a heavy shot charge going somewhat slower would be mo-bedda.
    For animals #4 buck or "BB". For humans #2 or #4 shot is reccomended.
    Now you see why I say a 12ga is better ?? --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,your just not gonna get less recoil with any 20ga storebought load than a 12ga Mini Shell.
    - - -> AND for me . . . it's a capacity thing. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Most 2 3/4" 20ga seems to be 20 pellets of #3 buckshot. I did try to order some Federal personal defense 2 3/4" 20ga that contains #4 buck, but Midway was out at the time, so I got the #3 buck that was available. I do like the light weight of the 20ga Shockwave, and realistically it will be carried a lot more than shot. I just sling it in the scabbard over my shoulder when I take the goats out.

I did give a little thought to asking someone to load some 20gr shells with flèchettes I have on hand to see how they perform, but Florida frowns on that type of round.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went over to JJ's today and he installed a set of Wolff springs for me. I met a couple of forum members today. Made a day out of the trip but had a great time fondling some M1's and Tankers.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Recovering from a stomach virus I meet and bought a KEL-TEC SU-16. It was a 16A with the 18.5 inch barrel that I intend to be my car/truck gun on retirement. Selling owner bought it as I got it, and it was a mess! On rushing home with it, after a visit to the throne, I found that the heavy aluminum full length hand guard someone put on had one screw missing and one screw head stripped. After drilling out the head and carefully cutting off the screw I liked it better as it was lighter, like it should be.

Tonight, felling better overall other than the leaky aft; I tackled the clean up. Disassembly is unique; and man this is the most neglected, dirty gun I have ever acquired! Doubtless, the tacticool fore end prevented proper maintenance. I had to use 0000 steel wool and Hoppes to get the carbon off the gas rod spring. Then I discovered a glob of what must have been melted polymer coating (steel cased ammo) on the gas piston head. Had to eventually use a propane torch to get most off, finishing cleaning the gas piston head with 0000 steel wool and Hoppes (the one from above).

Been wanting to play with an SU-16, and with it being an "A" with the longer barrel; I am glad I got it. Once I get a replacement hand guard and a new rear sight (yep, missing for a cheap scope) I will post a review on it. If it lives up to expectations, it will be my new EDC car gun for travel.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went over to JJ's today and he installed a set of Wolff springs for me. I met a couple of forum members today. Made a day out of the trip but had a great time fondling some M1's and Tankers.

JJ is always generous with his time and equipment. Great guy.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got my replacement items for the SU-16 project ordered from KEL-TEC and picked up a red dot to drop on it once all together. l started a thread on the project in the rifle forum.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I just received a new KKM Precision .357 Sig barrel (non-ported) for my Glock 24C. Why, one might ask? I dunno, just seemed like a good idea. A .357 Sig bullet should really move out of a 6" barrel.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just received a new KKM Precision .357 Sig barrel (non-ported) for my Glock 24C. Why, one might ask? I dunno, just seemed like a good idea. A .357 Sig bullet should really move out of a 6" barrel.

Wow. I wonder how many 24C's they made. That has to be a very rare item.

Top Bottom