• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Shot the night time- green light w/ PA 2.5x 15-22 pistol after dark. Love it. Shoots everything just about, subs, regular fed auto match or m-22. Don't know how it stacks up against the ruger 10-22 never had one believe it or not. ??
    But a great AR trainer. Mags are flawless. If thinking about a true AR trainer or just a good semi auto .22. I highly recommend it.
    20210314_203531.jpg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Don't know how it stacks up against the ruger 10-22 never had one believe it or not. ??
    I got my first a little over a year ago. It is still in the box in the safe with 2 extra mags on top.
    The Winchester 190 came out a couple years later and that is what was gifted to me as my first rifle in 68 or 69.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    On the Internet perusing Ruger forums reading about flat top blackhawks in 44 special (I have one) when I stumbled across that Ruger made some flat top convertables in 45 Colt/45acp. Stainless with Ruger fake ivory grips, Lipsey special. I've never owned a 45 Colt firearm.

Called my FFL and she asked for the Lipsey item number of the 4 5/8” model I wanted. Told me that’s a limited run and are allocated to distributors. Let me make some calls. Thursday I got a call…I’ve got your Ruger and it’s beautiful. I’ll just say the price was right.

I’ve got plenty of pulled Swedish 6.5mm wooden bullet blank powder (SWBP). Slower than Unique and faster than 2400, I thought let’s try it rather than the typical 8-8.5 gr Unique for 250 gr bullets. I stated low and worked up 1/2 gr at a time until I got recoil I felt was equal to factory 45 Colt and the unburnt powder stopped. Tomorrow first tests for accuracy, 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5 gr SWBP. This one has the best, smoothest trigger pull I’ve ever experienced in a Ruger single action.

IMG_0265.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    On the Internet perusing Ruger forums reading about flat top blackhawks in 44 special (I have one) when I stumbled across that Ruger made some flat top convertables in 45 Colt/45acp. Stainless with Ruger fake ivory grips, Lipsey special. I've never owned a 45 Colt firearm.

Called my FFL and she asked for the Lipsey item number of the 4 5/8” model I wanted. Told me that’s a limited run and are allocated to distributors. Let me make some calls. Thursday I got a call…I’ve got your Ruger and it’s beautiful. I’ll just say the price was right.

I’ve got plenty of pulled Swedish 6.5mm wooden bullet blank powder (SWBP). Slower than Unique and faster than 2400, I thought let’s try it rather than the typical 8-8.5 gr Unique for 250 gr bullets. I stated low and worked up 1/2 gr at a time until I got recoil I felt was equal to factory 45 Colt and the unburnt powder stopped. Tomorrow first tests for accuracy, 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5 gr SWBP. This one has the best, smoothest trigger pull I’ve ever experienced in a Ruger single action.

View attachment 286695
    Wow, that's gorgeous. I have the 4 5/8 45 colt, 45 acp combo in blue. Love it.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a mitchell arms inc saa in .45 colt that I have no ammo for. I would love to find a .45acp cylinder for it. Its an uberti made in italy imported by mitchell arms inc in santa ana california

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

View attachment 286695
    Does the Cylinder line up on a chamber when the loading gate is open?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Last edited:

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No. Open loading gate and you have to move cylinder a tiny bit, hear a click and it’s lined up to eject the empty.
    Your description is what I meant. Ruger revolvers use to require the cylinder be held in position to line up the chamber with the gate. The click you described on the old Rugers would split the chambers between the loading gate. Looks like another flaw was fixed now that Mr Ruger isn't running the company.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Three trips to neighbor’s range. Shoot groups, go home and reload more test rounds, shoot more groups, go home and reload more of best load, sight in gun.

Tried the “go to” 45 Colt Unique load of 8 gr + 8.3 gr + 8.6 gr. All shot the same…not good enough. Tried more of the most accurate of the Swedish Wooden Bullet Blank powder loads and group after group was good for my ability so that was reloaded more and used to sight in the Ruger flat top. 15.5 gr SWBP, CCI 300, 1.6” oal, Berry’s 250 gr plated flat point bullet. 852 fps at 5’ from chronograph. Disadvantage of the SWBP is it’s so fluffy that each charge must be weighed instead of thrown via a powder thrower., but that’s what an electronic dispenser/scale is for.

Two typical SWBP load groups:

IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg

Typical Unique powder group:

IMG_0271.jpeg

Top Bottom